Saturday, January 19, 2008

First Impressions

A while ago a friend and I were talking about our first impressions of each other. It was very entertaining to hear her take on me before we "officially" met and got to know one another. She worked in our church's nursery at the time so she only knew me as LittleZabba's mom. She saw the things that LittleZabba had in her church bag and she sized me up based on that information. She thought I was a crazy organized Mom because of the containers that I used in LittleZabba's dinner. Now anyone that really knows me knows that I am a sucker for a cute container, and I am organized to some degree, but I think not to the extent that she originally thought. This is the one that I think is really funny..(I hope I get this right)...she noticed my short hair cut and thought that someone with hair that short has to be super trendy and trendy people are vegetarian, so she concluded that I was a vegetarian. Again, not the case. Next she found out that I had a business so she concluded that I must be so busy that I don't have time for others in my life, so we probably wouldn't be friends. And seeing as she is coming over for dinner tonight, again her impression was wrong.

I then told her my first impressions of her and I think all of mine were wrong too.

So what does all this mean? I don't know. Don't judge a book by it's cover. How do you make a good first impression if, at least in my case, all my first impressions were wrong? I don't know. Anyone have a funny first impression story?

2 comments:

julie martin said...

hey GLO, my first impressions of you were that you were quiet and shy, and then one evening at choir practice, we got assigned to sit next to each other, and it didn't take long before that impression got blown out of the water. those were great days! i think we laughed more than we sang

love, RAY

anybody got "fitee-then?"

Unknown said...

The first time I had lunch with 'd'who is about half my age, she was very quiet and I said to my husband after lunch that obviously we would never be close friends - too big of an age difference and she didn't talk and I do. Well, 20 years later we are very close friends - she does talk and ok, she's still half my age, but we have great visits together. It isn't a funny story, but it makes your point that first impressions can be deceptive. Also, our first neighbors where we live now drove Harleys, had tattoos, long hair, etc., so I concluded they must be of the wrong group but we discovered shortly after that they were really neat, fun, helpful people.
Our first neight